Thursday, 23 July 2015

Week Two: Visual Metaphors and Rhetoric Illustrations


During class, the concept of Visual Metaphors was brought to my attention, where Tulia spoke about semiotics, and how the manipulation of imagery creates meaning, thus creating a visual metaphor. Within this visual metaphor is where all the rhetoric devices and persuasion techniques that I have researched come into play. 

An example shown within the slideshow during class portrays how the meaning of an image on its own can mean one thing, and then once paired with another image, can mean a whole other thing.
Notes taken in class: 

This encouraged me to look at examples of visual metaphors to  get further inspiration for my poster design, where I found the following.

 A visual metaphor can be seen as one image or set of images used in place of another to suggest an analogy between the two images or sets of images, where verbal metaphors are represented visually.  This is an effective way to present information in a witty and visually intriguing way that isn't obvious or almost patronising with it obviousness and literal-ness.   


From this straight away I get a sense of 'trying to be something your not'

From this you get a sense of 'cutting loose' and freedom, where you are no longer a puppet to your master. 


Paint the town red. This one is very evident and easy to get, however still done in a fun and intriguing way, where the image says paint the town red without any body copy.


Through the use of the dove, which is universally known as peace and freedom, we automatically resonate with this image, adding the chains we get the further idea that their is no peace or freedom, that its chained up. Furthermore the shape of the dove and place names give the final clue as to who is chained up with no freedom. 

When looking for these visual metaphors, I came across an image that used rhetoric in a journal, which got me thinking about the cartoons that you see in the back of newspapers that depict the latest political issues in a rhetoric manner, and I thought that they would be prime examples for this project brief. So, I looked further into examples of them.

I looked into the humour and rhetoric of editorial cartoons within journalism, where the cartoons constructed these political arguments/issues using previously understood rhetorical elements, as well as humour theories of incongruity and superiority.

Examples found are as follows





I even managed to find some recents one's that look at the topic I am covering, The Flag Change. 




This advanced me in my project by seeing how previous artists/designers take political issues or general topics and present them in a non-literal way, where the issue or topic isn't 'told' to the viewer but rather 'exposed' or 'shown' to the viewer in a way where its almost 'deer in the headlights' and 'raw' and the viewer has to interpret it. This gave me insight to existing solutions, which I can draw inspiration from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment